Sunday, November 6, 2011

Last Meal at Mellben Seafood

Singapore Day 4
Toa Payoh Lorong
7:36 p.m.

So little time so much to eat.... that's the motto of our Singapore trip!

Believe it or not, four days was not enough to cover the culinary delights of Singapore. The Lion City is such a food mecca that we have not eaten staples chili crabs, nasi lemak, fish head soup, etc. and yet we were already down to our last meal before flying home.

I truly longed to cap the excursion with nasi lemak but the choice to head to a seafood restaurant was still an easy decision that we made as it would have been a crime to have visited Singapore without having a taste of its national dish, chili crabs.

Mellben Seafood, a popular destination for crab lovers, got the distinction of hosting our last meal in Singapore. Its specialty is claypot crab bee hoon soup which we were silly to not have ordered.

Al Fresco Dining

Steamed Bamboo Clam in Garlic
Light and fresh. Strong garlic flavors complemented the dish well.

Guinness Stout Short Ribs
Meat was very tender though I would have preferred a stronger presence of the Guinness.

Cereal Prawns
The coating was good but the prawns were overcooked.

Salted Egg Prawns
A good alternative for those who like their prawns salty. 

Mantou
Crispy and hot. Sweet bread which I just loved to eat.

Black Pepper Crabs
Meat was fresh and sweet but I was somehow overwhelmed by the very strong pepper flavors. 

Chili Crabs
Wished the sauce was thicker and spicier but despite the shortcomings, I couldn't think of  a better way to  end our stint in Singapore but with this dish. 

Looking back, the food trip was a fruitful one with us managing to eat the very best of Singaporean cuisine. It dawned on me however that I need not travel far the next time I'm craving for Singaporean food because in Manila, we are lucky to have Tao Yuan and Wee Nam Kee which are equally good, if not even better, than some restaurants we visited during our great Singapore food binge.

I'll always have fond memories of the food experience I shared with friends during this trip, but I don't think I would ever want to go back to Singapore for another round of eating as if there's no tomorrow.

Mellben Seafood has branches in Ang Mo Kio, Pasir Ris, and Toa Payoh in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...