Friday, August 20, 2010

A Feast at Tao Yuan

Whenever my family dines in a Chinese restaurant, I have the tendency to overeat as we usually order like there’s no tomorrow. Our last meal at Tao Yuan was no exception.

Food that night:

Taosi Spareribs (90php)
Nice way to start the festivities.


Steamed Shrimp and Vegetable Dumplings (90php)
My brother’s order which he easily finished.


Egg Tarts (90php)
Much raved about by friends but I still prefer Lord Stowe’s.


Crispy BBQ Pork Pie (100php)
YUMMY! Would have eaten more if my stomach allowed.


Dipping Choices for the Chicken

Singapore Hainanese Chicken (880php) 
The dish that put Tao Yuan on the map. This was just ok and is not deserving of all the raves it gets. Not even close to the authentic Hainanese chicken served in Singapore.


Spring Rolls with Garlic (268php)
Such a simple dish which kids would love.


Singapore Spareribs (530php)
Was recommended by the order taker but this was just an msg-filled dish. Nothing special and is overpriced. One of the few dishes that we were not willing to finish.


Sichuan Hot and Sour Soup (530php)
Mighty sour making it hard to enjoy. It was as if I were drinking pure vinegar.


Birthday Noodles (460php)
Not fond of noodles; thus this was just ok for me. I, however, noticed that the noodles had a generous amount of meat, seafood, and quail eggs.


Lapu-lapu with Mango Relish (980php)
My favorite dish that night. This was uniquely delicious and should be tried by everyone.


Singapore Curry Chicken (328php)
This was another so-so dish. It had a good taste but not remarkable when compared to some stellar dishes.


Angel Shell (540php)
While I don’t really know what this is, I found it fresh and a welcome break from all the heavy dishes we had.


Singapore Chilli Crabs (2440php)
I also loved Tao Yuan’s version of Singapore crabs. Crabs were huge and fresh while the sauce had the perfect blend of spices making this a truly awesome dish. Was even able enjoy the sauce on its own.


Fried Bun (120php)
Loved it. Perfect partner of the crabs. Only gripe is that this doesn’t come free with the order of crabs.


Singapore Laksa (328php)
Good stock and loved the hint of coconut milk. The shrimps were huge and the fish balls were also fresh. I didn’t appreciate the consistency of the noodles though.


Singapore Cereal Prawn (150 per piece)
Not readily available in other restaurants so this is a must try. Cereal coating was yummy though the prawns could have been crispier.


Yang Chow Fried Rice (198php)
Not a fan of fried rice so I have no opinion about this Chinese restaurant staple. Mom said it was one of the more delicious versions she has tried in a long time.


Mochi Ball and Red Bean Jelly
Aside from mango sago, we were served a complimentary dessert of mochi and jelly. Didn’t like the mochi balls but loved the red bean jelly. This is saying much as I usually don’t eat red beans.

While the Hainanese chicken disappoints, I would still recommend Tao Yuan for families who are tired of the usual Chinese fare. Tao Yuan has a good mix of traditional and more adventurous dishes that would satisfy each member of the family.

Tao Yuan is located at 508-512 General Malvar St., Corner A. Mabini St. Malate Manila. Contact them at 522-7009 to 10.

2 comments:

stellawearshighheels said...

Wow, so many food. I'm getting hungry! Dee, you eat a lot!

Dee said...

I'll take that as a compliment Stella!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...